Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Is anything more important...

than family? I was taught that family was the most important, second only to God. My parents raised me with the idea that in the end, the only people you could REALLY count on were Jesus and your family. My husband's parents taught him very similar beliefs. I don't know that they ever used those words, but the idea was similar. Mom and dad used to tell me that if the house burned down around us, as long as we were standing outside together, we'd survive to see another day. My in-laws and my parents are the type of people you can depend on. They'll help you with anything. If you need emotional support - they're there, if you need money - there, if you need help - there, if you need someone to stand in your corner and back you up - they're there... And let me tell you, I wouldn't want anyone else in my corner. Phillip and I have been truly blessed with parents and siblings to make you feel like you are part of something HUGE. If the world really did revolve around love, our family alone could keep it going for all eternity.

Siblings are supposed to be supportive of one another. Harsh words should be forgiven. Yet among some of my extended family, people would rather point fingers and place blame than try to work things out.

I find it so odd that such loving people, such supportive and magnificent people, should have to deal with such harsh treatments. The only real feelings I can have for it all... I pity the loss others have by not having my family in their lives. These people would do anything for you, if you asked. They are generous and kind people who put Jesus at the center of their existence in both word and deed. I'm so glad that I have them.

2 comments:

Pete Bauer said...

Couldn't have said it better myself. The one thing I always admired about my father is that he truly, truly believed that if the family worked together they could achieve anything. In a lot of ways, I think he's right.

Cricket said...

Family makes life worth living!